Tip #40 – Gin Basil Smash
For the perfect sunset
What exactly is the South African Sundowner? You meet with friends, colleagues or family for a drink just before sunset. Where? It doesn’t matter! On a hill with a view, at home in the garden or in a bar, watching the sun go down and letting the day end in a relaxed way. We’ve researched and found the drink to match. Get the South African sunset at your home!
Gin Basil Smash Recipe:
Ingredients for a glass (tumbler)
- 5-6 basil leaves
- 1-2 tsp sugar syrup – depending on how sweet the tonic water is
- 4 cl gin (e.g. Muti Gin)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 100-125 ml tonic water
- some ice cubes
- 1-2 basil leaves (for garnish)
- 1 organic lemon slice
- 1 slice of cucumber
- Roughly pluck basil leaves into pieces.
- Pour into a cocktail shaker with syrup and crush well with a wooden pestle.
- Add the gin and lemon juice, close the lid and shake everything well for about 1 minute.
- Pour the drink through the strainer in the lid into a glass filled with ice.
- Top up with tonic water.
- Add shredded basil leaves, lemon and cucumber if you like.
For more ideas visit our tips section